Airports and Transportation
Houston has two major airports. Which one will be easier for you depends on where you are flying in from and whether you have a preferred airline. SuperShuttle, taxis, Uber, and major car rental companies are at both airports.
Houston Hobby is 13 miles (20-25 minutes) from Rice. It is smaller and often easier to navigate than IAH. Southwest Airlines only flies to Hobby.
Bush Intercontinental (IAH) is 24 miles (30-40 minutes) from Rice. It is the larger of the two airports and services all major airlines.
*Driving times may be significantly longer in traffic.
Wedding Hotel: Houston Marriott Medical Center
Rooms may be booked Thursday night through Sunday night at $109 per night plus taxes.
For free WiFi at the hotel please register for the Marriott Rewards Program when you book your room. Rooms are one king or two double beds. On the Review Reservation Page click on "Make Request" and enter your room preference.
The last day to book a room at the $109 rate is October 30, 2017.
6580 Fannin Street, Houston, Texas 77030
Alternate Hotel: Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center
When our Marriott room block is full, or if you prefer, the Hilton is a three-minute walk from the Marriott. Rooms are available for Friday and Saturday nights, November 17 & 18, $109 per night.
Reservations can be made through the link below or calling 1-800-HILTONS (1-800-445-8667) and asking for the "Powell / LiKamWa Wedding" group. The cut-off date for guests to make reservations is October 27, 2017.
6633 Travis St, Houston, TX 77030
Things to do around Houston
We've planned a few hours of downtime between the ceremony and reception. Here's a list of nearby places you can explore at your leisure.
- The Rice University campus hosts a beautiful collection of buildings and green spaces to wander through.
- Hermann Park is a public park just across the street from Rice University. Elegant statues positioned around a grand reflecting pool create a relaxing atmosphere for strolls through the park.
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science has dinosaurs and butterflies and IMAX.
- The Menil Collection is an art collection on permanent exhibition. Its 17,000 paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings, photographs and rare books span a wide range of mid-twentieth century and contemporary art.
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston hosts a permanent collection spanning 6,000 years of history and 6 continents.
- Rice Village has many shops, bars, and restaurants for a quick pick-me-up.
These are all conveniently accessible, roughly 1 mile from the Marriott.